Tuesday, July 14

Slip sliding away...

So today as I was wrapping up a therapy session with an 11-yr old girl we were making small talk as we were leaving my office. Suddenly things didn't feel so very correct with my clothing in the lower region of my body. I felt something...sliding. I looked down at my ankles...and sure enough...all of my slip was gathered there...covering my feet. When cute 11-yr old realized, she covered her mouth with her hand and gasped. I laughed and said: "Well, excuse me. My slip has fallen off. Sometimes these things happen." And I then attempted to shimmy it back up to its proper location without exposing anything. I feel as though it went well, and my client and I had a good laugh. I'm sure (hoping) it will do wonders for our therapeutic alliance...now that she's seen me be (very) human.

That would be a good enough story alone. Sad news is...this is not the first time my slip has deceived me. Once, about 7 years ago (yes, the slip is that old...waste not, want not)....I was crossing a very busy street...happened to be in SLC...you know the cross walk between temple square and the conference building? Yes the very intersection that is 100% guaranteed to ALWAYS be FULL of cars? The middle of that crosswalk is a great place to have your slip fall to your ankles. That time however...there was no "shimmy time" at my disposal and I made the executive decision to avoid risking my life by such delay. Instead...I casually walked out of the slip...bent down, wadded it up and put it in my purse, held my head and I kept walking. As any distinguished lady would do.

Time to buy a new slip.

12 comments:

Kim said...

Love the slip story. I gave me a good laugh for the day. I can't wait to see you in a week! The kids are excited too. Have a good day.

Linn said...

Oh man I love you Jules! Me thinks you are getting too skinny and your slip knows it.

Suz said...

LOL!! You always have great stories Jules. If it makes you feel any better I also have a slip that is about oh- almost 9 years old!! (I didn't even realize before now exactly how old it was!) However mine is beyond too small, so luckily I have not had your problem yet. Maybe we can go slip shopping together! :)

Anna said...

thats awesome! Once in my high school days I was headed to church walking my strut in a beautiful wrap around number. All of a sudden I felt very free. Looked down, no beautiful wrap around. If only I had worn a slip......

Anna said...

vgkiorgikoijkgj fjvijijvijij botgiot
lincoln
fvjbklbkjkbbgjkjbgkcjb jkkjbkjkbjjjbkiivpkob b vkjfoinjeirtgfhiugyhuifyg78iugiguig90r89589569iu49r9509095nghtkrghjinhuggnjfuhgurhguth only 2 days til my birthday. he wanted you to know. :)

Cindy said...

Great story Julie. My slip does the same thing so I just stopped wearing it altogether :)

Mom B said...

Looks like we might ALL need to go slip shopping! Aren't you glad it was an 11 yr old girl and not a guy?

Kasey and Jim said...

The SLC slip story is one of my favorite Jules' stories! You told it to me one time when we were walking to the conference center and I think about it every time I walk by. Thanks for making me laugh! Te quiero!

Sher said...

Love, love, LOVE it! Ever thought of writing a news column? I totally relive your stories with the way you explain them. Miss you, sweet Pally! Hope to see you soon!!! Love you ---

Jamie Pearce said...

I love that stories. I was laughing out loud...it was awesome! I don't always get quite a laugh while reading through blogs, but I sure did this time. Thanks for sharing that story and humoring me. I love you Jules!

Leah said...

Classic. I miss you Jules!

red said...

Slips can be so slippery. I think the one I have was inherited from my Mom who probably got it from your Mom.