Saturday, August 29

Camelback


Yesterday my friend Natalie and I hiked the Echo Canyon trail on Camelback mountain. Not long in terms of distance...only 1.2 miles up....however, there is a gain of 1263 feet in elevation. So yeah...steep. Average grade is 40%...some places is more than 60%...hands and feet kind of steep...a good, hard hike.

At the top we made friends with a little chipmunk/squirrel (chipirrel, squipmunk...let's face it...they are the same animal to me) who enjoyed sharing my edamame chips...so much so that when I stopped feeding him, he came and climbed on my backpack that was sitting by me to beg for more. Sorry, Chippy, only brought a few and you got almost all of them-you little piggie.

Don't get mad animal people...the chips are organic. I'm sure totally safe for his tiny little system. (Confession: during a slightly less-focused part of my worship @ church today, I wondered if he was dead on Camelback mountain due to edamame intolerance). Look @ his cute little fingers... "Chippy"...


This is near the beginning...steep...two sections where there are metal rails...except when it's 100 degrees outside and the rail temperature is approximately 4,583,982 degrees-you use the fence instead...it's a tiny bit less likely to burn your hands.




Love this picture of cute Natalie laughing at the top...adorable. She's so fun. Such a great time...thanks Nat, love you much!


6 comments:

Suz said...

Wow- I am impressed! I am horrible at hiking- just ask Rand about the time that we tried to hike the Y- disaster! :) Again, very impressed.

Linn said...

That is awesome Jules! Love the pictures and that looks incredibly tough. You are amazing!

Anna said...

amazing or crazy! that sounds so hot and hard. :) good thing you are amazing

Mom B said...

Impressive - does this make you think of Adams Canyon and laugh? (Remember how painful that was?) and the great slurpee at the bottom has never been equaled! I think you are ready to hike with Dad!

Kim said...

Good for you Jules! That looks hard but fun. I'm so excited to see you next week!

Jamie Pearce said...

How fun! I love the pictures...what a fun hike. I also adore the picture of Natalie laughing...so fun! You are the best girl!