Monday, April 26

Ragnar Part II: The Tutu

So...a Ragnar team usually consists of 12 runners...6 in one van, 6 in the other. While van 1 is running, Van 2 rests and vice-versa. The race starts early Friday morning and ends sometime Saturday afternoon...going through the night. My team captain...cute Celeste, is a veteran Ragnar runner and knew the ins and outs...including the joys of having a team costume. I thought we were out of the woods when we were still costume-less the day before the race. But then Costco had to ruin all that for me.

You may or may not be able to tell that this us...digging through a large pile of tutus. Someone found them and jokingly said "It would be funny if..." and in an instant a little joke became a terrible reality. You might be wondering why Costco would be selling adult-sized tutus. Well, don't worry, they weren't. These are little girl's tutus...the largest size being a little girl's 7/8...and while there were a few runners on our team who probably do fit into little girl's clothing, for the rest of us, it was a bit of a tight squeeze. All in the name of fashion?

We got compliments /comments throughout the entire race. People we didn't know asked to take our picture...about 25-30 people (real number, not "Jules number"). And people who didn't ask were also taking our picture. I have a feeling I may one day find not-so-flattering (as if any of them are) pictures of me in a tutu. Men seemed to be particularly interested...as is evidenced in this picture below:

You may have to click on it to see it bigger, but there is a man standing behind us watching...and this is pretty indicative of how things went.
At first I was NOT a fan of this idea. I did fall a little in love with my tutu (and may have even worn it when it wasn't required-like while stretching before the race while watching TV) but still refused to actually wear it while running (most of my teammates wore theirs for all three of their runs). They said "Oh, you will cave...you'll wear it." FALSE! I did not.

8 comments:

grandma blair said...

You've got to admit, you were all pretty awesome to see!! Fun times, by the way you look awesome in a tutu

red said...

You're awesome! And you look great! What girl doesn't love a tutu? SERIOUSLY?

Anna said...

jules I'm with you on this one, although you were probably a lot nicer than I would have been. Looks like everyone enjoyed them though. :) And you've got yourself some nice legs, I'm sure that is all the man was staring at. :)

Sarah said...

You are my Hero! Holy Cow! I've never run anywhere.....except to the Bathroom! Congrats! So happy for you to accomplish this! AWESOME!! You are amazing!!

Suz said...

LOL! That is great. I can't wait to hear more about the race. :)

Jamie Pearce said...

How fun! You are awesome!!! Love the tutu's. :)

Mom B said...

The tutus were a nice touch! It looks like SO MUCH FUN.

Kim said...

Julie you are amazing! I wish I could say I'd run like that sometime in my life, but I can't and probably never will. I'll just cheer for you. I think it is great how into running you are now. You have really done a lot. I also love the tutus!