Tuesday, August 17

Forgiveness

So, up until about...Sunday...I believed that I had the fool-proof way to avoid having to speak in sacrament meeting. It goes like this: accept a teaching position in relief society or gospel doctrine...and bear your testimony on occasion (approximately 2 times per year, give or take). For about 10 years that worked for me. Until Sunday.

So...this Sunday I'm speaking in church...on forgiveness. I have a thousand different ideas and haven't yet decided which direction I will be taking this talk...but it will probably include elements of:
  • importance of forgiving others
  • importance of forgiving self
  • importance of allowing time for real forgiveness and not judging self or others when/if the process is not quick or immediate

But....I'd love to hear any thoughts, quotes, stories, scriptures or anything meaningful that my dear friends may feel inclined to share. Also...what do you think is missing when this topic is discussed? What do you think we need more of? Less of? If you have thoughts, feel free to leave them as comments or email me if they are more personal. If not...

I forgive you.

8 comments:

Anna said...

I love your last thought on allowing time. I think one thing that amazes me is you never know what people are going through, you never know what people are dealing with. So not judging is always so hard, but so pertinent. Ok that's not really on forgiveness. One thing I would mention is how the atonement allows us to be forgiven. :)
My favorite is when people get up and give real awkward stories of past sins and how everyone starts to fidget in their seats because they are so uncomfortable. :) just kidding, sorry to ruin your moment. I just know you will do excellent and defiantly don't need any help from me. :)

Cindy said...

I have had experiences where it was really hard for me to forgive someone, and then later needed forgiveness from them, and it put things in a new perspective. Just something to remember. And the scripture that says if we want God to forgive us when we make mistakes, than we must forgive our fellow man. (We have used that one on our girls if they are staying mad at a friend). You'll do great.

red said...

Not being judgmental is a great topic. Especially when it comes to personal repentance. If you see someone not taking the sacrament you (not YOU but people in general) should respect them for working out their issues with Heavenly Father. I think the worst thing people do is judge someone who comes home from their mission for whatever reason. People just need to basically love each other more. Forgiveness is something very personal that takes a long long time.

red said...

I have a good example for you what's your email?

Jules said...

Anna-I agree. We never know what people are dealing with. Ever. And I also agree that confessionals over the pulpit=AWKWARD!!

Cindy-thank you, good example...very true.

Janay-I agree with that...it's hard enough to make changes and harder when people are watching/judging. My email is jubleex4@hotmail.com.

Sher said...

Forgiving those of us who didn't respond in time would probably be my need right now. I haven't checked blogs all week until now - so sorry, Pally! How did your talk go? Would love to hear about it if you get a chance!! Love you --

Mom B said...

I want to hear how your talk turned out...

Kim said...

I'd give you some advice, but it looks like it is too late. I'm sure you did a wonderful job. You are a very wise person. Hope things are going well.