Thursday, February 23

Once there was a snowman. And then there still was...

I'm not going to lie. I'm only breaking my 5 months of silence to prove that I can update my blog before Sher will.  She and I were talking the other day and I told her I kept checking and her blog kept STILL being about a snowman. I laughed realizing mine was even more outdated. So. Enough of that. I win Pally! ;)

I should probably tell you more about my job or my life or maybe even post Havasupai pictures from last summer that have never quite made it here. Not gonna.

Instead I will rant about how I don't believe in fishing. I know it exists...but I don't like it. Fine if you're going to eat the poor fish, but what is this business of ripping the fish out of their home by their lips...only to put them back? This morning I went walking with a friend at a nearby park that has a man-made lake with men who fish there every morning. Normally I never witness them catching anything so all is well. Today this man caught several...and one of them was still hooked to the line flopping on the cement...while Mr. Brave Fisherman took his sweet time doing whatever he was doing that was NOT returning the poor fish to his home. I almost said "I bet you wouldn't be moving this slow if it were you UNDER water instead of that fish out of the water?!!! Put him back!!!" I don't really even like fish. I think they're gross and slimy and pretty stinky and I pretty much just appreciate that they are a good source of lean protein. But I don't like seeing them looking like they're suffocating on the cement. I know, I know..."Jules...they don't have feelings!" But how do YOU know...you're not a fish!!!

Anyway. The part of me that doesn't believe in hurting or killing animals is totally a vegetarian. The part of me that really loves chicken is less of a vegetarian. It's complicated.

And this would be why it's maybe best that my posts be...sporadic. See?

xoxo.

PS...I swiped this photo from the world wide web...drawn by Erika Aoyama. I don't know her but I bet she doesn't believe in fishing either.


5 comments:

Linn said...

Sweet waffles, I adore you. I've decided I love this post. It is so Jules. And yeah for telling the fisherman off! xoxoxo

Suz said...

Glad you're posting again Jules- you always give me a good laugh.
I agree with your fishing philosophy- maybe we can start a group to protest catch and release fishing. :)

Sher said...

I am laughing so hard right now!!!!!!! You got me. I'm grateful that the snowman finally got you to post. I promise to post something this weekend. And if your despised fisherman story is still the featured post come next September, well - perhaps my February post may be, too.

I love you.

Anna said...

you are awesome. :)
you wouldn't believe the hate mail I get from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23YG3Ksj7pQ&feature=g-upl&context=G2af9098AUAAAAAAARAA

So know that many many others feel the same as you

Sher said...

Speaking of snowmen that still were...