Monday, March 17

Happy St. Patricks Day and stuff...

Today has been a great day so far. I have the day off (due to attending a conference Saturday, that I must admit was a huge disappointment beginning with the fact that the keynote speaker chanted/yodeled for a full 30 minutes. Seven minutes into it I got out some paper to do the math and figured out I was paying her $13.70 an hour to yodel at me-not okay. From there things didn't get much better).

Anyway...where was I? Yes, a great day. I got 6 miles in at the gym where I was amused by a cute little elderly woman wearing the greenest pants ever created. Then got laundry and other work done. I'm about to finish up the laundry and will head out with my cute surrogate family to go to a drive-in movie as the kids are on spring break. I think we're seeing "Horton Hears a Who" and something else. Can't wait.

I enjoy not working on a weekday. Shopping is nice and calm, the gym wasn't crowded... and to top it off...I received a visit from a group of 8 pre-adolescent girls who were going door-to-door in effort to sell the lotion they had "made." Further investigation let me to understand that they'd "made" it by "mixing a bunch of lotions together" (and I'm gonna guess some water too as the lotion was the consistency of...well, water). Although their product was ridiculous, it was well priced .50 for a small bottle, $1.00 for the large...they had a jingle that they all sang together and they also did very well at answering my "What are you planning on doing with the money you earn" question. Apparently they are saving it for college and charity. I almost laughed out loud. At least someone has coached them on what to say. I scrounged up a few bucks and told them to keep the lotion and have a fun day. An hour ago I saw them out in the park behind my house enjoying a picnic. I have a sneaking suspicion that my $3.00 may have gone towards the candy and not college or charity, but I'm okay with that. I'm a supporter of kids being kids and also enjoyed the shrill screams and celebrating I heard after I closed the door.

6 comments:

Sher said...

Where were you when I went hula-hooping for money in high school??! I hope you enjoy Horton!! Are you wearing color-appropriate Miss Fresh to the show?

Maggs said...

Jules--I'm gonna send Mykah over to your house! She once drew a picture and headed out in the front yard to sell it. I just knew she was headed for disappointment but she came back in 15 minutes later with $1 that a neighbor had given her for her picture! I think she could sell just about anything...gotta love kids.

Michelle said...

Collin and I try to buy drinks at lemonade stands... usually we just give them the quarter because we are afraid to drink the mixture. Kids are just so gosh darn cute.

Anna said...

that's hilarious. I'm so bad when kids show up at my door. Although lotion is not one I've heard of before. We used to try and sell the day old (or week old) donuts on the street. Trying to stop the cars and big signs. All six of us kids like we lived at a homeless shelter or something. I don't remember anyone ever buying our donuts. :(

Cindy said...

Hi Julie,
I am enjoying your blog!
My girls are always doing fun things like Lemonade stands and popcorn stands. Luckily we have nice neighbors like you who are good sports and a little too generous with their funds too.
I've even come out front to check on them and found they had rounded up and seated an audience (ages 3-53) for a "dance performance". They are only young once!

Mom B said...

Remember the picture I took of the cute Phelps boys after giving them a couple of bucks for their watered down lemonade? I didn't drink it either. At least they didn't ask to borrow the Kool-Aid first and then try to sell it to me like some other little kids I know.