Monday, September 15

Jury Duty

Whelp Friends. Not what I thought. I was grateful to be given the number 5 and taken from the big, hot, stinky room to the little, cold, dark courtroom where 55 potential jurors would be whittled down to 12 to decide the verdict in a 4-day trial involving a young man from a local gang involved in a drive-by shooting. I was not chosen. (I've been told that mental health professionals rarely are). Neither was the guy who said "The way I feel right now, anyone who does these crimes should be FRIED!" (Big surprise he wasn't picked, huh?). It was an interesting day...full of a LOT of waiting, but less waiting for me than the bored jurors-to-be who sat a full 8 hours in the juror assembly room doing nothing. I am, however...grateful for the legal system. And the following paragraph on the superior court website aimed at providing help for distress post-jury service...you will find my favorite sentence in large red font. I'm pretty sure this online counseling was not approved by anyone licensed. However, I may write it down on index cards and start giving it to clients. I recommend printing it out, & taping it to your mirrors. Sounds like a cure-all to me?

"... it may be helpful to be aware of the symptoms if they arise. Some temporary signs of distress following jury duty include: anxiety, sleep or appetite changes, moodiness, physical problems (e.g. headaches, stomach aches, no energy, and the like), second guessing your verdict, feeling guilty, fear, trouble dealing with issues or topics related to the case, a desire to be by yourself, or decreased concentration or memory problems. Symptoms may come and go, but will eventually go away. Remember you are having normal responses to an unusual experience.

To help yourself, it is important to admit any symptoms you may have and deal with any unpleasant reactions."

8 comments:

Sher said...

Note to self - next time I'm asked to serve on jury duty, use phrases like, "I'm a mental health professional" or "fry that dirty criminal!" or something like that. By the way - ever seen 12 Angry Men? Kurt loves the show. Black and white - but interesting. Love you, Pally!!!

Leah said...

They won't pick me either. They hear "Domestic Violence Victim Advocate" and send me packing. I always want to be picked because I'm really nerdy like that and am interested in the system. Oh well. By the way... I adore you.

grandma blair said...

Sounds like a fun day!!!

Maggs said...

oh man! too bad...maybe they'll pick you next time!! HA HA...

Kim said...

Count yourself lucky. It seems like I always know someone who has to serve jury duty. Luckily I haven't. At least they've ruled you out now. A lot of my friends have to call in each day for a week to find out if they have to do in or not. That's a pain when you have kids you have to farm out or a job you have to go to. Anyway, I'll have to use the Mental health professional excuse. (it's a side job)

Bonnie said...

Oh wow. I'm so jealous you've had the priviledge of serving your country by fulfilling one of your civic duties!!

Blah . blah . blah .

I just finished teaching my third graders that taxes and jury duty are two privileges we all have as American citizens. I had to try really hard not to laugh or interject my own opinions. Now just just made me laugh even harder. How do you feel about coming to Utah and being a guest speaker?

Mom B said...

Ask Linds why she did not serve on jury duty. I think she was planning on moving to Arizona at the time. :) :)

LiNdsay said...

alls you gotta do is tell them of your plans to move. everybody moves...at one time...sooner or later. Stick it to the man! no jury duty for this one :)