Sunday, October 11

Arizona Pros & one (pesky) Con

I have a love/hate relationship with Arizona. Truth is...it's turning into more of a love/love relationship every day. Especially now that it's "fall." Which basically means...I can justify flannel sheets (due to what the calendar says, not the thermometer). I put them on this weekend and although I may still have to sleep with a fan, I don't care. Give a girl her flannel.

Another perk...hiking in October....November, December...and pretty much up until May. Amazing. Running outside all year long (though not recommended in July-Sept...I did it anyway...kind of miserable). It's perfect now...in fact on Friday I thought "Man, I'm gonna have to wear a LONG-SLEEVE t-shirt soon." I know, amazing. In Utah, it's freezing and I'm guessing many are heading to the gym. In AZ, the gym membership dips in the winter...as everyone is outside.

Here are a few pictures from yesterday's hike...not much to see, quite honestly, it was dirt, cacti and more dirt...and some cool white rocks that...according to the Hiker Man we met..."grew up out of the ground"...sounds good to me.

One of the not-so-great things about this blessed land...scorpions. When I was packing to move here, my biggest fear was snakes...have seen zero so far. In fact the last snake I saw was on trip to Utah...on Sher's front grass (remember that Pally?). Previous to that...dad and I found a small snake in the garage at home in UT the day we were loading the trailer to move here...dad joked "He wants to hitch a ride to see ALL his relatives where you live!" Mean.

This little guy was hanging out in my shower. Glad I found him before he found me. It is getting a little old, the whole scorpion finding-catching-freezing-disposing cycle. I am grateful that as the cold(er) weather comes, the scorpions disappear. Hallelujah. I will not miss them in the least.

6 comments:

Linn said...

Not much to see except you beautiful woman! Love that picture of you--you look great! Come live in Boston. You can use your flannel sheets from October through May. Doesn't it sound appealing?

Anna said...

oh, that scorpion would render me frozen...can't believe it was in your shower...although, now that I've read your post I believe I need to go buy some flannel sheets. :)

Sher said...

Absolutely I remember that snake! I think I about jumped in your arms (or on top of you?) - although the snake was really only about 8" long or something. Still. A snake. I always check out your weather on the news. I think you were down to 87 for a high yesterday, right? Definitely time to bring out the flannel. Should probably get you an electric blanket for Christmas when it's down to 68... Love you so much, Pally!

Mom B said...

It's actually been pretty nice here lately. But we know the winter chills are just around the corner! How many of those "pesky cons" have you killed this year?

red said...

jealous of the awesome weather. Sorry about the scorpions. Have you been stung by one yet? I always cringe when I see a giant spider in my house (which I always assume is full of poison.) and wonder what would have happened if it bit me. Hope you never find out. Enjoy the awesome hiking/jogging weather. You look great!

Kim said...

Wow, I think I'd fore-go showers for awhile if that was in mine. You are a brave woman. So what's with the freezing? You can't just smash them with a shoe?