Wednesday, March 10

It's That Time Again...

One day last week, I headed into to the grocery to do my shopping. On my way in I was nearly mauled by 2 very energetic 8-yr olds who pointed at a table with 2 less enthusiastic adult women who were guarding the tower of...you guessed it: Girl Scout Cookies.


So I asked how much...when the tired but smiling mom responded "Four dollars," I wanted to say "What? Didn't they used to be...like...$2.50???" So I say thank you and head into the store sans thin mints. But don't worry, while I shopped for eggs, double fiber english muffins, oranges, and asparagus...thin mint thoughts danced in my head. I completed my (planned) shopping and headed out where same 2 giddy girl scout sellers attacked. I relented. "One box of thin mints please." Shared some with roommates, rationed the rest of the first row out over a few days...and the 2nd row is in the freezer for a later time.


Am I tempted to go back and stock up? Yes. Do thin mint thoughts some times pop up when I least expect it, yet. But will I cave and stock up? No. That would be gluttony. And I'm pretty sure that that is not a virtue that Girl Scouts stand behind. Promoting seasonal obesity, yes. Draining the pockets of unsuspecting grocery shoppers, yes. But gluttony...probably not.


So. Welcome girl scout cookie season. Eat responsibly.


7 comments:

Anna said...

sooooooo, this year we did not partake in the goodness, but found something even more heavenly. Dryer's girl scout cookie flavored ice cream. there is nothing responsible about it, but it is all your dreams come true in one bite. good luck! $3.00. :)

Cindy said...

Way to have will power! A girl can have some chocolate when she wants, as long as she shares the calories around like you did:) I'm a home-made kind of cookie girl myself. So none of the girl scout cookies really tempt me. (Plus the Keebler elves make thin mints too for only 1.79 at Smiths) Anna's idea is sounding pretty good too though, in moderation of course.

red said...

Once when I worked at Iomega I bought 12 boxes of Samoas and 6 boxes of thin mints. I gained a little more than Freshman fifteen. It was worth it.

red said...

Bought three boxes today. Thinking of you...and my samoas.

Mom B said...

Your dad LOVES the thin mints (3 boxes so far this year) but they don't do much for me. I have other wicked treats I love to indulge in.

Mom B said...

Carl brought home the grasshopper mint cookies and I could not tell the difference! Thanks Cindy!

Kim said...

Hey, I just learned that Keebler thin mints taste the same. You'll have to try them. Sorry to hear bike boy was a loser. I can't wait to see you again.