Sunday, May 9

Mother's Day-Part II

Preface: this is another of those more "real" kinds of posts that you don't see super often here. But since this IS my blog/journal...I feel entitled. Wait til next week if you want frivolity. XOXO-jb

To my future kids,

So, tomorrow is Mother's Day down here. Kind of a weird day for me. Easy in that I get to think about and celebrate my mom and all that she's done for me...and also all the women I know and love who teach, love and nurture-I am lucky in that there are many.... But hard in that I am not celebrating it as a Mother. And my friends will say that I love & nurture my darling kiddos in therapy and even my new little darling stinky webelos, and my nieces & nephews and my friends children-all of whom I love as if they were mine...

Still. I am waiting for you. I don't know how you will come, I am hoping I will have the experience of feeling the miracle of life, with a tiny you moving in me...I want to know about that. I am also aware that there's a good chance one or more of you may come into my life through adoption and I am excited for that. You may come to me as a big kid with some rough stuff that happened to you before we meet-I'll be ready for that too. I will wrap you up in more hugs than you ever thought possible and we'll do whatever it takes to help you grow up safe.

The mom stuff I feel ready for, it's the wife stuff that's tricky. Where the heck is your dad??!?! Seriously, when he shows up, I'm not sure if I'm going to lecture him about his severe tardiness or kiss him long and hard. This waiting business is making me crazy. Still, I'm not picking a crazy (ask me later about "bike boy," "chick-fil-a" boy, etc). I'm looking for a good dad for you, one who will work hard, love me, and love you all-a lot. Someone who will be gentle but strong and honor his priesthood and his role as a husband and father. We may have to wait for the right one, deal? Once we find him, we get to keep him for always, so it will be worth the wait. Promise.

I started thinking about you guys when I was about 3 and asking my mom when it would be MY turn to be a mom. Most of the time, I'm happy and busy and moving along with life, but always I wonder about you. Always I would pick you over anything else I have going on now. I'm turning 32 soon. I don't really worry about age except when I do the math...I'm now at least 32 years older than the oldest of you (if you're coming to be biologically), which means, I might seem very old to you. When you're graduating from high school, will your friends think I'm your grandma? Don't be mad, okay? And will I be strong and healthy so I can run around with you and your soccer/softball/basketball/tennis/track stuff? (Please don't pick football! I don't want you to get hurt!)

Some of the stuff happening down here is kinda crazy. I worry about what you might have to deal with and I think about and pray for you even though you're not here yet, crazy huh? The only time I'm okay with you not being here yet is when I worry about keeping you safe... I'm sure gonna wish I could shield you from trials, and sickness and hard things...even though that's not really the plan...

Sometimes I don't like going to church on Mother's Day. I don't like it when they make all the women over 18 stand as the deacons pass out flowers or chocolate....and the poor kid coming my way glances back at his mom and mouths "Her?!??! She doesn't even have kids! She's not even married!" and I pretend like I didn't see it because his mom is mortified. As he passes the gift my way, I make a mental note, "I am FOR SURE not coming next year!" Except that I say that every year and every year I go. I was pretty sure I wouldn't go this year except that it's my week to teach gospel doctrine.

So. Tomorrow I will go to church. And all kinds of emotions will surface...because my feelings about the role of women, especially mothers, are more deep and more tender than I will ever be able to express in words. And my love and gratitude for my mom, as well as the other friends/family in my world who love, nurture, protect and teach is profound. As are my feelings about you...

So, my dear little ones. You're not being "picked last," I have wanted you for a long, long, long time. And once you come, I'm keeping you forever and ever and ever.

Love you,
Your (future) Mom

9 comments:

grandma blair said...

Jules,
I loved both of your posts, Mother's day Part I and Part II.
Thanks for sharing. Love ya

Linn said...

Love you Jules.

Jamie Pearce said...

I love this post Jules! Brings up similar feelings that I have. You are such a beautiful person. I love reading your blog. I love hearing what you have to say. You are one amazing chica!!! Love you Jules!!

red said...

Anyone would be lucky to have you for a Mommy. You'll love them even more because you are waiting for them. You'll be a super awesome Mom.

Maggs said...

cute letter--you will be an incredible mom. I was not ready to be a mom with my first baby, got kind of thrown into it--but I must say no matter when or how it happens, it's So much FUN and So hard too. Know that I love you and think the world of you Jooly Blair!

Kim said...

You will be a wonderful mom when the time comes. Thirty-two is not old. More than half on my kids will have been born after I was thirty-two and I can still play with them. Kids keep you young anyway. I love you tons and thank you for your great influence and thought.

Sher said...

I love you, sweet Pally. Those kiddos that are coming to you have NO idea how lucky they are. They'll be getting the best mom EVER - a mom who has been wanting to care and love on them her WHOLE life - one who will cherish every milk spill, every dirty diaper, and every middle-of-the-night episode just because you've longed for it so much. And you'll want those days to never be gone. You'll be wonderful - the BESTEST. You just keep holding out for the right daddy to come along because that's the best decision you can work on for now. I love you. Completely.

Mom B said...

You will be a wonderful mommy, and you are a darling daughter! Love ya lots!

anngardner said...

Seriously??? I hope you copied and pasted this in to your journal to share with your children in not so far off future. Motherhood is a blessing that so many take for granted. Thanks for the reminders that I get from reading your blog.
You are awesome.