Saturday, July 7

So Dangerous You'll Have to Sign a Waiver

Today I visited http://www.lavahotsprings.com/ to prepare myself for my upcoming Blair family reunion which is to be held there July 26-28. Upon perusing the site, I quickly found this picture.

From the moment I saw these platforms (about 7 minutes ago), I became bothered because I knew that I am going to want to jump off the tallest one...but am also a little terrified of even the thought. Let's face it...every year for swimming lessons at the Clearfield pool, I was probably the LAST kid to jump off the high dive. Once I did it...I think I was fine and tried it again, but I usually waited until we were packing up to go home before I could muster the courage to climb the 4,987 ladder steps.

I will probably spend at least a few minutes of every day deliberating this decision. Many reasons not to: 1-you have to sign a waiver-that means something, 2-the entry into the water could very possibly force my contacts right off my eyeballs, and I don't have
extras, and 3-I'm afraid.

I was born an impossible mix of both my mother and father. A burning desire to live on the edge with a equally powerful desire to preserve my own life.

7 comments:

Mom B said...

Try to be like your mother on this one...

Jules said...

:) Okay. So can I use that as my excuse? My mom said I can't?

Mom B said...

Sure you can! You don't want to be grounded during your vacation do you? By the way, you responded within 6 minutes to my blog entry. Nice job!

Jules said...

Perfect. Let it be written...I'm not allowed to jump off the 32.8 foot platform. Too dangerous. Mom said. But...can you still ground me?

Bonnie said...

I'm going to play devil's advocate... because I'm exactly the same way. We went to the rec center pool with a huge diving board like that one. I deliberated and pondered and even climbed the stairs TWICE and climbed back down, in spite of the fact that there were about 10 pimple faced boys mocking me. (not a nice view for them or me!)

I completely regretted the fact that I chickened out... so much so that in an irrational fit I practically ran up there and jumped off - without thinking about it. It hurt.

Ignore that last sentence. I share this story because if you're like me, and I know you are, you will be kicking yourself the entire drive home if you don't do it.

Just be sure that you either put your arms straight up or straight down if you dive. It's less painful... I hear. :)

Rand said...

(to be read with a Spanish accent) Yes -- sister. Quite the predicament in which you find yourself ... in ... a predicament.

I myself am a crossbreed of Mari-lyn and Carl. When I am confronted with an ob-stacle such as yours, I too yearn for the thrill of the 32.8-foot drop. Ah, the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

You must listen to your heart, when he's calling for you. Yes, listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do.

I don't know where you're going and I don't know why, but listen to your heart before you jump off -- the high dive.

Jules said...

Sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile. The precious moments are all lost in the tide...

Wait...is that a secret message...lost in the tide?

Again, little brother. Well done.