Saturday, October 20

Marnin and the Mattress

So. Today I set out to buy a new bed. I am not as young as I used to be (ask Sher, she'll confirm)...and my shoulders and back are hurting in the mornings. Now this could possibly be due to the car accident that totalled my car 16 months ago...but either way, it's time for a new bed.

I have never purchased a bed, as I've always had the luxury of a borrowed Blair bed. I walked into the bed store of my choosing and was met by an eager salesman. Now, the idea of having an entire ROOM full of beds that are more comfortable than the one I currently own was great. What was NOT great was having a 45 yr. old man following me around as I tested them all out. It seems weird to talk to a salesman while you're lying down.

I wanted to shop around which displeased my little salesman enough that he suddenly wanted to pay my sales tax and throw in free delivery. Now, the delivery was probably always free, the sales tax a nice touch, but still. So I walked out but not before formally meeting my mattress man, Marnin. Yes, you heard me. M-A-R-N-I-N. It took me several tries to get it right and he finally said "it's unusual." I wanted to say "you aren't a a'jokin' pal."

As I got in my car to make my way to Costco to check out the Sealy they sell at a whiz-bang price, I called Mom to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off. After all, she's bought a lot of beds. She knows her stuff. I expressed my concern about not being able to find sheets (most importantly flannel sheets) for the 14-inch mattress that would soon be mine. She eased my troubled mind by telling me she at that moment was in her local Costco and had her very hands on a set of lovely flannel sheets that were guaranteed to fit up to a 15-inch mattress.

So, assured that Marnin was not messing with me, I picked up a nice pair of white-with-red-snowflakes flannel sheets at my local Costco and made my way back to Marnin my mattress man. The deal was made (after the demonstration wherein he poured coffee on a square cut from the "protect-a-bed" and told me how great it would be to extend the life of my mattress...I politely told him no thanks while I thought about saying "I don't wet the bed and I don't drink coffee so I think I'm all set Marnin, let's get this done.")

The bed will be here Monday. Hallelujah.

P.S. Based on the 1990 US Census, Marnin was ranked number 0 on the list of most popular boys' names in the United States. But, you can change this. Please see
http://www.marnin.com/marnins.htm for more information. And yes, this is for real.

9 comments:

Suz said...

Jules you crack me up! I am happy to hear that you were successful in acquiring yourself a new comfy mattress. We went through the same process last year, I mean as grateful as we were for your parents 30 year old bed, it's nice to have something with some padding :) Sometime we'll have to tell you about the show room where we bought ours.. it was "interesting" to say the least!

Sher said...

Guess I'll have to persuade Kurt NOT to name our son Marnin, but I'm not sure he'll be convinced... Can't wait to come and test out your new beddy sometime, pally!

Sher said...

By the way - I have no idea what you're talking about with you being old...

Jules said...

Sher, Marnin is a lovely name. And there are at least 13 others in the world according to that website. You can rest assured that your child would not have to go by his name AND last initial "Marnin S" in school...think of that...

And...no comment on the age thing. It's best that we don't even start! ;)

Mom B said...

I was so happy to be involved in the selection process, even from afar. Believe me, we never would have sent all of our kids away with our old beds if we had realized we would someday be sleeping on them when we went for a visit! But you deserve a nice bed - and I really thought Marnin was a typo error. OH well, Marnin and Darlin might be cute names for twins, don't you think?

Rand said...

I really don't want to be a downer here, but you are using the words "whiz-bang" in the wrong context.

By stating that the price was 'whiz bang' you are implying the price was low, but you are saying the price is genius.

A better use of the phrase would be: "I just got a call from my whiz-bang kid brother, who was able to talk Marnin into throwing in a free bed frame with my mattress."

Jules said...

Point taken. But I think a better phrase would be:

"My supercilious younger brother has not time for his own blog, only time to critique minute grammatical errors of the blogs of his [purported] loved ones."

Rand said...

Excellent! You have put your hands on a Thesaurus. By the way, I do have time to write in my own blog.

Jules said...

Rand, are you using my blog for free advertising? I have a lot of traffic and if you continue to post ads, I may charge you. But, it IS a darling video so I'll let it slide. This time.