Tuesday, October 2

Seat Dukes, Tangs, and Other Mysteries

My experiences this weekend led me to a few conclusions:

1. US Airways is NOT my preferred airline.
2. The people in Vegas are far more interesting than the venues.
3. While not practical, convertibles are a fun weekend experience.

#1-The US Airways motto is "Fly with US." My answer: "No thanks." To sum it up, their terminal is in a wing of the airport that you'd swear is fake, (I kept wondering if I was on the set of a low-budget film), their flights were NOT on time (our plane left the ground approximately 96 minutes after they said it would, and just as my slumber began the overhead monitors blasted me with ANOTHER presentation about safety! (Hello, wasn't the first one enough??! You're gonna make people think you're planning on a crash here...) AND the rear stewardess shouted orders...including yelling at the man who opened the overhead bins a moment too soon upon our landing...she ran down the isle to slam it closed to demonstrate her true authority. It took a lot of restraint not to jump up and start opening the overhead bins in rapid succession. Oh...AND...when passengers kept flooding into the plane before we took off, we heard a garbled message that sounded like "There are seat dukes, and we're really sorry, but please just sit down." Neither Jill nor myself knew what Seat Dukes were but we assumed they were not a positive or normal part of flying. We later figured out that she was trying to apologize for the "seat DUPLICATES..." So, US Airways, I will stick to another airline. Thanks for asking.

#2-3. So. My pal Jill and I arrived into Vegas much later than we anticipated and were shuttled to the mega rental car center supreme (you'll see what I mean next time you're there). In line in front of us at the Dollar hub was a woman probably in her mid 40's with wild, wild hair. Wearing a black skirt and shirt, paisley-type scarf, nude-colored hose and most noticeably, a large chunk of fuschia lipstick on her front tooth. She was accompanied by her (boyfriend?). Tall, skinny, wearing black jeans and lugging the faux-leather fold-over clothing bag, which apparently kept him too busy to kindly warn her about the tooth-stick she was wearing. Well, as we made our way out to what we thought would be our economy $10-a-day Kia Rio, we were delighted to discover that due to the circus at US Airways, we were just late enough that a forced upgrade to a shiny red PT Cruiser Convertible (see image above)...and we were much elated. As we checked out our new ride I heard an excited shirk of "We got the TANG!!!!" repeated very many times. I was confused until I looked over to see my Dollar line friends with their forced upgrade, a red Ford Mustang. Apparently it's normal to call them"Tangs?!?!?" She had an accent, and I recommend that you hear it like this: "Hunny, we got the TAY-ANG!!!!" As Jill and I drove off we noticed that the luggage boy was only allowed to back the car up, but Mama Lipstick...well, she got to drive.

To sum it up, we had fun with the convertible and forced ourselves to suffer extreme cold and a smidge of heat to fully take advantage of it's convertibility. We made it to St. George around 2 am. Syd's wedding was amazing, the St. George temple is beautiful and the the day was great. Had fun at the wedding and reception and later with the girls for a night on the town. Spent ALL of Sunday driving (and I do mean ALL) home to phoenix...

What a weekend.

6 comments:

Suz said...

Sounds liek quite the trip jules. Convertibles make great rental cars- fun for a weekend, but then it's nice to get back to your regular car for the rest of the week.

Anonymous said...

I am hysterical from the dizzy of lawschool midterms when I get this post and cannot stop laughing. I'm gonna kicked out of the library (again this week)!

I can see that I have been far too focused on my contracts, civil procedure and criminal law definitions to get you up-to-'tang-speed on trailertrash vocabulary! I think my role in your Arizonian Adventures may effect tortious liability implicatications in that I have failed to adequately fulfill my contractual trailertrash preparedness obligation toward the interstate-related Vegas experience! We'll have to talk to a licensed bar-accredited practitioner to clarify and/oradjudicate. However, I think I may be able to mitigate the restitution damages byway of the crack-Xmas-tree escapade which should have provided important signifiers (as notice) for manifesting the correct structural analysis in that having lipstick on a front tooth constitutes a positive indicator in factually evidencing that wild-haired-short-skirted-woman actually had a front tooth which in turn negates a duty (on the part of 'baby's daddy') to report said middle-class faux-pas.

Digital hugs and kisses with promisory of forthcoming trashy vocabulary and personal style lessons.

Anonymous said...

real-people translation to previous law/vocab-poisoned comment:

I shoulda prepared my resident-lovey Judles for the Vegas experience, but have previously exposed her to meth/crack addicts who had only a few teeth and were selling Christmas Trees so that we could afterward transporting said LARGE tree in her AZ#1 beloved Corolla!

She survived the adventure and we have lived to laugh about it! Thanks to the rest of HER loveys for sharing Judles-lovin' with me!

Mom B said...

You really should write a book about your escapades. I flew on 4 US Air planes this week and 3 of them were amazing but I'm sorry you had to get the bad one. Sounds like you had fun anyway.

P.S. How are your eyelashes?

Jules said...

Mom, my eyelashes seem to be better than I first estimated. They are a little sparce on my upper left eyelid...but the damage was not as tragic as I first thought. Thank you for your concern.

Unknown said...

I am glad that your eyelashes are okay too Jules. You had me worried for a bit. I'm glad your trip to St. George went well. Probably I should have driven down and surprised you...but of course you were having good Syd time, so that wouldn't have been nice of me. My only advice: remember that Ipod in your bag. It sometimes comes in handy! :) Love ya Kid!